Types of Programs of Study

English Language Studies

Other options for study in the United States are immersive English language programs. Intensive English Programs (IEP) are widely available in the United States for beginner to advanced level students. Some programs focus on English for academic purposes and guide students in the university application process. Others have short-term courses for test preparation, such as the TOEFL and IELTS exams. Students pursuing university degrees may choose to complete IEP programs before or during their university study. Each higher education institution has its own expectations for English language proficiency level and students are usually required to submit an official English proficiency test result as part of the initial university application process. Universities specify which English proficiency test is required—such as TOEFL, IETLS, or one of their own. As with universities, English language programs can also be accredited by an external organization such as the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA) (https://www.cea-accredit.org/accredited-sites). To search for and compare various IEPs located across the United States, see this interactive database from Intensive English USA Online (https://intensiveenglishusa.org).